The Garden Ministry Coordinator at Epworth United Methodist Church in So. Minneapolis will be the primary facilitator for Epworth’s Garden Ministry with oversight and collaboration with the Pastor as well as adult and youth parishioners.
One of the primary gardening programs is Weed and Water Wednesdays. Families with young children 0 to 8 years old come to the garden area from 9:30 to 11:30 each Wednesday to create the garden, share its produce, “cook” healthy snacks, do gardening crafts, have story time and go home with products and ideas for their home gardening fun.
The second task for the coordinator will be to plan, organize and coordinate Vacation Bible School with the pastor as well as adult and youth parishioners.
The curriculum for both aspects of the Gardening Ministries will be set but is open to adaptation as appropriate and needed.
Participants in Epworth’s Weed and Water Wednesdays and Vacation Bible School include families of different faiths and spiritual backgrounds from the South Minneapolis area.
TIMELINE, HOURS, PAY
- Epworth parishioners and Pastor will begin the Gardening Ministries program on May 1 and the coordinator will assume responsibility as soon as available or by June.
- The position begins late spring or early summer for planting and continues through mid-August approximately 8-10 hours per week. Compensation is $1500 for the summer.
- Creatively, carefully, and thoughtfully expand both Weed and Water Wednesdays and the Epworth Garden Ministry.
- Assist with worship and explore spiritual development and/or ministry.
- Work with local shelters and/or service organizations to donate produce or cook/prepare meals from produce.
- Pursue additional opportunities based on talents, current studies, and passions.
- Plan and adapt weekly activities using the Weed and Water Wednesday curriculum.
- Confirm the reading, crafting, weeding and watering volunteers prior to each week’s Wednesday.
- Set up activities outdoors each Wednesday including nutritious snack preparation (as outlined in curriculum). Be prepared to change location when needed due to inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances.
- Be present at Epworth Wednesday mornings to facilitate Weed and Water Wednesdays.
- Keep a sign in sheet with participants’ names and contact information.
- Meet weekly with Pastor and/or the laity leadership team for support, oversight, encouragement, and future visioning.
- Schedule youth and adult volunteers for weekly watering and weeding at times other than Wednesdays.
- During worship services, use words and images to report periodically to the congregation about the growth of the garden and the involvement of the participants.
- Connect Garden Ministry to climate justice.
- Assist the planning of Vacation Bible School with the laity leadership team.
- Coordinate volunteers and supplies for Vacation Bible School.
- Assist during Vacation Bible School week from 8 am to 1 pm Monday through Friday. This assistance includes but is not limited to setting up the spaces ahead of time, facilitating activities, coordinating adult and youth volunteers.
- Manage the budget by coordinating with the finance committee.
- Background check and Safe Gatherings training (2 hours)
- Excellent communication skills to work in an intergenerational setting; verbal, technical
- Interest in growing a church ministry
- Ability to engage with children and youth
- Some skills in gardening preferred
- Ability to understand a program and creatively envision expansion
- Interest in Ministry, Teaching, Botany, Farming, Gardening, Climate Justice, and/or Social Justice desired
Epworth UMC is a 105-year-old 80-member congregation located in the Longfellow Neighborhood of South Minneapolis. We seek to Nourish Faith, Do Good, Welcome All, BE CHURCH! Epworth is a reconciling congregation and a place of innovation, trading a static schedule of traditional worship services for a rotating schedule of traditional worship, “Conversation Sundays”, and “Service Sundays.” We have declared 2019 A Year of Love and are shaping our ministries to claim and proclaim this reality. We are currently moving toward becoming a Climate Justice Congregation in partnership with Minnesota Interfaith Power and Light.
APPLICATION PROCESS and DEADLINE
- Apply by April 5, 2019 by sending your resume’ to Pastor Steven Reiser at email@example.com.
- Interviews will be held from April 8 through April 13, 2019 at Epworth UMC, 3207 37th S, Minneapolis, MN 55406